Welcome to Camp Nazareth

Welcome to Camp Nazareth
Welcome to Camp Nazareth! This online journal is the official journal of Camp Nazareth Conference and Retreat Center. Over the years, many memories have been made here. Through this journal we hope to share with you the many wonderful moments from the many years at camp!

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Reflections of a Lifeguard


Ladies and Gentleman, welcome back! Todays post is brought to you by our head lifeguard Catherine!

---

Last week, I had the privilege of hearing his Grace Bishop Gregory speaking with the campers of the first JOY session for the Greek Metropolis of Pittsburgh. He asked the kids what they had done over the week and one of the first and most passionate answers was, “We went swimming!” As the head lifeguard here at camp, it never ceases to surprise me when I see how much happiness and excitement the pool brings to not only the campers, but the clergy and counselors as well. When the pool and the lives of the people in it are your responsibility, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the stress of the job and keeping everyone safe. During the free swim sessions, my thoughts and vision are very focused. For everyone else, it is the most relaxing part of the day, but for me and my fellow lifeguard, it is the most stressful. Our eyes are constantly scanning for emergencies and hazards. People say to me, “Catherine, you get so caught up in the rules of lifeguarding, don’t you have any fun?” And I say, “Of course I do.  Every once in a while, I zoom out and notice all the pure fun that is happening around me.” No matter how many rules I enforce, no matter how many games of rough-housing I have to put a stop to, and no matter how many times I have to yell the word, “walk,” the pool of Camp Nazareth is still a magical place and to be one of the people that allows it to be a part of the program is truly an honor. I enjoy every moment of my time here, and every task I do, because I get to be a part of the blessed beauty that is camp. I am so looking forward to the rest of the summer and the arrival of the Diocesan weeks. Countdown: 16 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment