Welcome to Camp Nazareth

Welcome to Camp Nazareth
Welcome to Camp Nazareth! This online journal is the official journal of Camp Nazareth Conference and Retreat Center. Over the years, many memories have been made here. Through this journal we hope to share with you the many wonderful moments from the many years at camp!

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Stillness

I few days ago I was sitting outside with my eyes closed. I felt the wind in my hair and could hear the birds chirping. No cars or sounds of anything worldly could be heard. The warmth of the sun hit my face and everything was perfect. While this feeling only lasted a few minutes, it reminded me of Camp. The feeling of stillness is really what took my mind back to camp. Because for those few minutes, there was nothing on my mind; I was equally as still on the inside and the outside. What a rare and beautiful experience to have in such a busy world.

I remember once while at camp overhearing some campers talking to each other. The one said to another something along the lines of: I don't get how I can sit at camp and be ok, but at home I always have to keep moving and doing something. 

I was rather fascinated at what the camper said as I was passing by. As much as I wanted to know what was said prior and what followed, I heard all I needed to hear. Camp changes people. Some of us always have this energy of sorts. Sometimes it's a nervous energy and sometimes we're just energized people. Unfortunately our need to be constantly stimulated is a disadvantage. However, at Camp, it seems as though stillness is welcomed and accepted. 

I can't say camp is a place of stillness all the time. Really, camp is very busy. Camp is a place where the body, the heart, the mind and spirt are all engaged. The moment one arrives at camp is the moment everything changes. All of a sudden, the schedule of the day somehow allows for a balance of activity and stillness. Even more than the schedule, the environment allows for the mind and the heart to be still. Through this stillness, our eyes and ears are opened to the voice of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment